I am excited that I just got my Far Infrared Sauna hooked up. It took me 7 months of living here before it is now working. But honestly, in the heat of the summer the last thing I want to do is sit in a hot sauna. Now that Autumn is here, I am roaring to go!
My Far Infrared Sauna only gets up to 130 degrees, so it isn't that hot, like the 180-200 degrees that the other regular saunas get to. It also heats from the inside, (radiant heat) so you get more health benefits. I don't understand all of these scientific studies, and am getting the information below from Evolution Health, where I purchased my sauna. I do have to say my main reasons for using it are its benefits on my joints, (decrease pain and inflammation), beautifying of my skin, and weight loss. I just sit in and read a book for about 45 minutes. Very relaxing and very easy to do. Sometimes I will use my detox foot pads in the sauna, to do a quick detox.
Passive Cardiovascular Conditioning Effect
Infrared Sauna Therapy makes it possible for people in wheelchairs, or those who have a disability that affect their ability to exercise to achieve a cardiovascular training effect. Regular use of a sauna may impact a similar stress on the cardiovascular system, and its regular use may be as effective, as a means of cardiovascular conditioning and burning of calories, as regular exercise." - Journal of the American Medical Association 8/7/81. Due to the deep penetration of the infrared rays generated by the Far Infrared Sauna, there is a heating effect deep in the muscular tissues and the internal organs. The body responds to this deep-heating effect via an hypothalamic-induced increase in both heart volume and rate. This beneficial heart stress leads to a sought-after cardiovascular training and conditioning effect. Medical researches confirm the use of a sauna provides cardiovascular conditioning as the body works to cool itself and involves substantial increases in heart rate, cardiac output and metabolic rate.
Fat becomes water-soluble at a temperature of 100 F° before it begins to dissolve and enter the bloodstream to be removed from the body. In a FIR Sauna fat is also removed through sweat and cellulite. Weight loss is one of the benefits of using a FIR sauna each day for only 20-40 minutes. A single sauna session will burn 200-500 calories, as many as rowing a boat for 30 minutes or running several miles. Many people who have attempted weight loss through dieting and have not been successful will be pleased with their results from using a FIR sauna. Often the inability to lose weight is associated with chemical toxicity. As these toxins are removed from the body while using the FIR sauna, weight loss naturally follows. FIR saunas are the ONLY natural, healthy way to burn calories without exercising.
Use of a FIR sauna has a cumulative effect on the body, meaning that using it daily magnifies its benefits. The first time you use the FIR sauna will be a pleasant experience. However, after several days and then weeks, detoxification, weight loss, immune building and other benefits will increase dramatically. One must experience this cumulative effect to understand it completely.
Burns up to 500 & more calories in just one 30-minute Infrared Sauna Therapy session. Here are how many calories a 150-pound person normally burns up in 30 minutes of exercise:
SPORT : CALORIES
- Rowing (peak effort) : 600
- Swimming (crawl stroke) : 300
- Jogging : 300
- Tennis (fast game) : 265
- Chopping Wood : 265
- Cycling (10mph) : 225
- Golfing (without a cart) : 150
- Walking (3.5mph) : 150
- Bowling : 120
- Vigorous Racquet Ball : 510
- Marathon Running 593
- Musculoskeletal Cases - success reported with infrared treatments include TMJ, arthritis, back pain, tight muscles, shoulder tension, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, compression fracture.
- Decreases joint stiffness
- Infrared Sauna Therapy relieves muscle spasms.
- Infrared Sauna Therapy produces pain relief.
- Infrared Sauna Therapy increases blood flow.
- Infrared Sauna Therapy assists in resolution of inflammatory infiltrates, edema and exudates.
- The increased peripheral circulation provides the transportation needed to help evacuate the edema, which can help stop inflammation, decrease pain and help speed healing.
Researchers reported over 90% success in a summary of Chinese studies that assessed the effect of infrared therapy on:
- Soft tissue injury
- Lumbar strain
- Periarthritis of the shoulder
- Pain during Menstruation
- Eczema with infection
- Post-surgical infections
- Pelvic infection
- Pediatric Pneumonia
- Frostbite with inflammation
- Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Blood Circulation - the following ailments may be associated to poor circulation and, thus, may respond well to the increased peripheral dilation associated with Infrared application:
- Nervous Tension
- Children's Over-tired Muscles
- Varicose Veins
- Strained Muscles
- Stretch Marks
- Menstrual Cramps
- Upset Stomachs
- Leg and Decubitus Ulcers: failed to heal using conventional approaches
- Post-Operative Edema: treatment with infrared has been so successful that hospital stays were reported to have been reduced by 25%
Skin conditions benefited by Infrared treatments
- Nettle rash
- Clogged pores are unplugged of cosmetics creating a skin texture and tone of unexcelled quality. Mikkel Aaland's book Sweat (Capra Press, 1978) quotes a Finnish doctor to the effect that: "The best dressed foreigner can come into a doctor's office, and when his skin is examined, it is found to be rough as bark. On the other hand, as a result of the sauna, the skin of any Finnish worker is supple and healthy"
- Poor skin tone is restored to a more youthful level
- Scars and pain from burns or wounds are decreased in severity and extent. Infrared therapy is used routinely in burn units throughout Asia
- Lacerations heal quicker and with less pain and scarring
- Acne: Three or four infrared treatments may open pores that have not been functioning in years, forcing out clogging cosmetics and loosening dead outer skin. The sauna is thus a boon to teenage skin, clearing acne and blackheads
- Body odor: by improving the function of the skin, the infrared treatments may eliminate the cause of offensive body odor. It definitely reduces body odorr induced by occupational exposure to odorous chemicals
- Eczema and Psoriasis: reported to have responded extremely well to infrared treatments
- Sunburn: according to the 9th edition of Clayton's Electrotherapy, "infrared is the only antidote to excessive ultraviolet radiation."
- Keloids forms at a reduced rate in those prone to their formation with infrared treatments and may be softened by use of infrared systems if they have form,
Scars on SkinCellulite
- Excellent for increasing blood circulation to the skin, which is essential for beautiful, youthful, glowing skin.
- A new "inner glow" as the skin is free of accumulated dirt and dry skin cells, due to deep cleansing of impurities.
- Improves the conditions of acne, eczema, psoriasis, burns and any skin lesions and cuts.
- Open wounds heal quicker with reduced scarring.
- Removes roughness, leaving skin baby smooth and soft again.
- Firms and improves skin tone and elasticity
Scars fully formed, even keloids, may be gradually softened. Burns and other wounds or incisions may heal with significantly reduced scarring.
Flexibility:Relieves pain and Stiffness:
- Cellulite is a gel-like substance made up of fat, water and wastes, which are trapped in pockets below the skin. An Infrared Thermal System can assist this condition, as profuse sweating helps clear this form of unwanted debris from the body.
- European beauty specialists confirm that a sauna will greatly speed any anti-cellulite program.
- Due to at least twice the depth of heat penetration into cellulite combined with up to 10 times the level of heating in these tissues, an Infra Therapist System can be significantly more effective than any conventional sauna.
A Far-Infrared Sauna is perfect as a "heat therapy room" for athletes looking for a pre-workout warm-up to warm up muscles and increase flexibility, helping to prevent injury. It's also ideal for pre-warm-up for physical therapy and massage therapy, or for a relaxing, wind-down at the end of a stress-filled day.
The deep heat of the far infrared sauna helps peripheral blood vessels dilate, bringing relief and healing to muscle and soft tissue injuries. Increased blood circulation carries off metabolic waste products and delivers oxygen-rich blood to oxygen-depleted muscle, so they recover faster. Muscles relax most readily when tissues are warm, for greater flexibility and range of motion.
Improves the Immune System:
Sauna's deep heat raises your body temperature, inducing an artificial fever. As it works to combat the "fever," the body's immune system is strengthened. Combined with the elimination of toxins and wastes produced by the intense sweating, the overall health and resistance to disease is increased.
Increases Blood Circulation and Strengthens Cardiovascular System:
While the moisture on the surface of the skin evaporates and thus cools the body, a number of other changes occur in the body to release the heat as quickly as possible. The heart beats harder and faster , pumping more blood through the dilated blood vessels, thus achieving the conditioning benefits of continuous exercise.
As the body increases sweat production to cool itself, the heart works harder pumping blood at a greater rate to boost circulation, supplying the conditioning benefits of continuous exercise. Heart rate, cardiac output and metabolic rate increase, while diastolic blood pressure drops, for improved overall cardiovascular fitness.
Increased blood circulation stimulates the sweat glands, releasing built-up toxins and waste. Daily sweating can help detoxify the body as it rids itself of an accumulation of potentially carcinogenic heavy metals (lead, mercury, nickel, cadmium) as well as alcohol, nicotine, sodium, sulfuric acid and cholesterol.
Reduces Stress and Fatigue:
Perhaps the most immediate relief this far infrared sauna offers is simple relaxation, as it melts away the stresses and tensions of urban life. infrared sauna gives an overall massaging effect, soothing jangled nerves and knotted muscles.
Improves Skin Condition:
The profuse sweating achieved after just a few minutes in far infrared sauna carries off deeply imbedded impurities and dead skin cells, leaving the skin glowing and immaculately clean, Increased circulation draws the skin's own natural nutrients to the surface. It improves tone, elasticity, texture and fresh color of the skin. Increased blood circulation has also been shown to relieve acne, eczema, psoriasis, burns, lesions and cuts. In addition, open wounds may heal more quickly, reducing scarring.
Source: Evolution Health (www.evolutionhealth.com)