Friday, March 12, 2010

Cortisone shots - my story of today's events!

I did it.

I got two cortisone shots this morning. My appt was at 7am, and I barely pulled into the parking lot at 6:58 and made a dash for the building in the rain. I made note of where the stairs were (quicker to run up 2 flights of stairs then wait for the elevator) when a lady sitting in the lobby area called to me. She didn't speak English too well, but I could obviously see her need: She had a young child, maybe 1 year old at the oldest, and she was trying to open up her stroller. Her hand was broken and she said she was waiting to be taken to the hospital, as it appears the doctors in this building advised this of her. She needed help opening up her stroller. I can't NOT stop and help. No way. I knew I was going to be a minute or two late for my appointment, but that is ok, she was in need.

Well, apparently that wasn't the case. I fought over that folded up stroller for a good 5 minutes and COULD NOT get it to open! I pushed down on the lever, grabbed part of it between my knees to gain leverage on opening that thing. No such luck. After awhile she told me to forget about it, it's ok, she said. And shooed me away.

Then I did my mad dash up the stairs and wasn't even panting when I got to the reception area of the rheumatologist's office. So this lady rheumatologist, well, I have to say she rocks in terms of patient care. I will tell you why. She diagnosed me with bursitis late last August, and for reasons I won't get into now regarding my health insurance, HSA, etc. I didn't start physical therapy until end of January of this year. I have been going to PT for 7 weeks now and the pain is still intense, though there are plenty of signs of improvement, it is just a LONG process. Well, before going to PT, I had to get a referral. I couldn't remember her name, so I tried getting one from my PCP, who I also went to for my joint problems (of course he didn't find anything wrong with me, but definitely took my money). He took 5 days to get back to me saying that he wouldn't approve the referral because PT doesn't help bursitis, and told me to take Aleve instead. (DOH! I HAVE been taking Aleve, too much, in fact! It isn't helping! Maybe with acute bursitis attacks, but not the chronic issue I have been dealing with since August of 2008). So that ticked me off and he isn't my PCP anymore. Anyone who asks why, I have a long list of reasons for this besides this incident. Needless to say, I have absolutely no respect for him as an MD. So, at the last minute I found out who the rheumatologist was that I saw last August, and in 2 hours, she had faxed over the referral.

Much better.

And, yesterday when I called her office hoping for a cortisone shot, she was able to fit me into her busy schedule before her regular office hours, at 7am this morning.

The shots themselves weren't so bad. They didn't hurt anymore than giving blood at the American Red Cross does. I got one in each shoulder, directly into my bursa sac. I have 7 bursa sacs in each shoulder, and she told me the name of the one she did, I can't remember the name, but if I saw a picture of them (a human medical picture) then I could point it out. It is the one right in the middle of the rotator cuff.

Now I am a bit sore. But other than that, I feel ok for the time being. I am not going to judge the effectiveness until at the earliest, Sunday.

And, I will be using my detox foot pads tonight, both in the sauna and then again while I sleep. I still am not 100% sure that they aren't poisoning my body, so I will have to detox my body.

Today is Friday, and Wednesday night I went to bed feeling pretty sick. So I took a high dose of NutraSilver, and when I woke up Thursday morning, I felt worse, so I called in sick. I took another 3 doses of NutraSilver on Thursday, and feel about 85% better this morning. I will take NutraSilver again tonight and hope to be 100% better tomorrow. I suppose it really does work, because it seems like I had the same cold that Steve had last week, that put him out for 8 days. (well, then again we know that men can't handle sickness as well as women can!). For me being out only 2 days (well, not being "out" but being sick), that isn't so bad. (Dosage is 50 drops in water 3x a day for 2 days, and then you should be feeling better -- I think it works!)

But the next issue is for me to stop GETTING sick in the first place. Which is one of the reasons I decided on the cortisone shots. I cannot sleep well. As a result, my immune system weakens, no matter how well I take care of myself. Sleep is SO important to one's health. If you don't get enough sleep, no matter what else you do positive for your health, it won't cut it. So since the pain has been keeping me up at night, something has to be done. That is what tipped my decision in favor of getting the shots.

I will report more later, to let you know how they worked!

Posted via email from rhauptman's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment